Friday, February 3, 2012

Drama Drama Drama....

So a bit of an update:

Monday was SO fun!! I got to shoot that mini commercial movie thingy. It was very interesting and such a learning experience. I really just stood around most of the time and waited. Waited for lights, waited for costume changes... But it was so FUN!! We did several takes of each 'scene' and then we'd do several up close takes of each of us in each 'scene.' I wonder if I'll get to see the finished product... I would love to do it again. And I got paid!! Let's just say it covered my day off work. :)

So in other news.... the show opens tonight! YIKES! It's been interesting too. A very different atmosphere than Ice House. Not better, not worse, just different. I've had some issues... Here's a bit of the background story...

It was rumored that the costume mistress took this show on as a favor to one of the directors. She was finding herself pressed for time and a bit stressed out.

She told us, the mermaids, that she'd get us jazz shoes. Come Monday we have black bedroom slippers. I have to do a dance where I twist a little. I can not twist in those shoes. Since we didn't have proper shoes on Monday of Tech week I approached one of the directors and told him that I will buy my own shoes but I won't buy jazz shoes because I'll never wear them again. But I don't have a problem buying character shoes because I will probably wear them again. (Characters shoes are just supposed to be super comfy shoes with a small heel. And, depending on the shows I plan to be in, in the future it is quite possible that I'll wear them again.) I guess I might have said this a little snotty-like. (My co-star informed me of that fact.) I seriously had no intention of sounding snotty or snobby! I was just trying to get my point across... :(

The week before opening say Thursday we got our 'costumes.' I write it like that because it's really just all about the tail... our tops are plain short sleeve leotards. Nothing special there. My leo is a bit too snug! I told the costume mistress. She said she'd order me a larger size. The following day she said that the new larger leo will be here Wednesday (of opening week) but she ordered it in violet. I just looked at her and thought to myself: why would you order it in violet if I'm currently wearing a blue leo?? My other sister wears a violet leo... I was just so confused. She said: So it's in violet, but I really like you in the blue... and it looks fine on you. I again thought to myself: sure it looks fine on me... because A) you don't care what I look like. and B) you want to be done with this show! You don't care period!

All week I struggled wearing this too tight leo and finally Wednesday night I just couldn't continue on... I went home after rehearsal and just couldn't get to sleep racking my brain trying to figure out what I could possible have in my own closet that I could bring to the directors and have them 'ok' it. I realized I have a teal lacy spaghetti strapped cami that I thought I could wear. It's not as tight as the leo but still somewhat form fitting... I also pulled out a pair of teal fish net stockings I had from an 80's party and cut the toes off and cut a hole in the crotch for my head if coverage was going to be an issue...

I went to the theatre last night and dressed in my new shirt... and then approached the directors. I explained my case - that the other leo was too tight and I had asked for a larger one, but it was in purple... The one director just looked at me... I told him about my fish nets that I could put on for coverage. He said to put them on and come back. So I did... He looked... he probably wasn't too happy.. but he said: 'that's fine.' The other director - the one I spoke to about the shoes just had this look on his face. He's probably thinking I'm such a prima donna!! :(

I did the show. All the other mermaid sisters liked my top...

After the show the costume mistress met me on the stairs outside of the girls dressing room. She asked, with a weird sort of smile on her face, where did you get that top?? I told her that I had asked the directors if I could wear this other top because the other leo was too tight and I felt super uncomfortable in it... and that they said it was fine for me to wear the new top. She said: Ok. Then turned to walk downstairs and said: I don't appreciate that...

Well what the crap is that supposed to mean?!? Are you directing that comment to me? Or to the directors!? Excuse me if you just phoned in your costume ideas. I didn't go around you in any way. I told you from the start that I wanted a bigger leo. I figured the directors have final say on the costumes so that's why I asked them. I honestly didn't think you'd be back.

Of course I didn't say all that. But it irked me just the same. I should have said something... oh well. I guess I just won't get cast again since I'm so much trouble!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Geeze!!! Why did she even volunteer it she wasn't going to help the cast????? You didn't need that!!!! oxxoox Tutu