Monday, August 22, 2011

Photos in the park

Yesterday afternoon I took the girls to have their pictures taken at a local park. A friend of mine that I recently reconnected with is a photographer and has her own little business. I thought I'd give it a try. Especially because it's normally around this time of year I start to think about fall pictures and Christmas cards.

It was a little hot yesterday, but there was a breeze that would kick up now and then which made being in the shade really nice! The girls got to play with bubbles and then they tried to play on the playground but the equipment was too hot! The whole time I was at the park I noticed an older Mexican guy probably in his 40's watching us. I tried to just rationalize that he was probably just one of those people that like to people watch and was just watching us take pictures. But every time I glanced over at him he was looking at my girls. It made me really uncomfortable. Once we were on the play ground for a little bit he moved from his spot lounging on the grass across from the playground to sitting on one of the benches that flanked the playground. We then moved back to the bubbles in the shade which was behind the playground.

At this time two Mexican young ladies walked up to us to call my attention to that guy. I told them that I had in fact noticed him watching and I thanked them for letting me know. I guess they were having a children's party and had pulled all the kids off of the playground because they'd noticed that creeper watching the kids. Shortly after that we wrapped up the photo session. I gathered the girls up in the car and was getting them situated with their snacks and juice boxes. I was standing outside of the car on the passenger side with the passenger door open. Bea's door was open as was the driver's side door was open. (Bea sits behind the driver.) The car was on and the air was running.

I was getting Millie's juice and handing it to her and had just closed her door when I heard: 'Mam? Uh, Mam?' I look up to see the creeper approaching. 'Shit!' I think to myself. I say: 'Oh, hi...' He says: 'Your friend left her bubbles...' He hands it out to me with his left hand. I notice his right hand is in his pocket and I suddenly think about what if he tries to grab me and cut me or something and then jumps in my running car and steals my girls!? I kind of lean back - prepared to run for the other side of my car - and grab the end of the bubble container. I'm watching his pocketed arm and somehow in one movement grab the bubbles and sort of back up/turn and just jump in the car. I lock the doors and just drive away. Beatrice hadn't been properly buckled in but I just wanted to get away. I later drove down the street and pulled over and buckled her in and just took a little breather. I kind of felt silly because it was broad day light, but where I was standing the nearest party was further down. And maybe consumed with their own activities... uh! Oh well. We're safe, that's all that matters.

No comments: